The generator is an electricity generating device that is
usually used by people in rural areas that have not been reached by PLN.
However, because the function of the generator is very important where the
generator itself is not only used as a lighting device but is used as a source
of electricity that can be used for various purposes / activities that require
Electricity Resources for a Home, Company, Shop, Mall and so on then no wonder
this machine is a mandatory machine that must be owned by a company. Well,
because when the electricity goes out, a lot of activities are disrupted, such
as the Production Activity Process, the Sale and Purchase Process, the Office
Process and many others.
And if you are in need of a generator, then you have to know the important things that must be considered in choosing a generator that suits your needs, so you will get a quality generator and of course can provide many benefits for you. Here are some important tips on how to Choosing a Good generator that is expected to make it easier for you to buy a Fitting and Quality generator.
How to Choose a Good Generator:
1. Pay Attention to Electricity Needs.
Before choosing a generator, you must first pay attention to the electricity needs of your home, office, shop etc. For example, you count how many lights, air conditioning, radio, TV and other electronic devices. Calculate what number of Watts you need, and how many KWh of electricity you have, so you can choose a generator with a Power Output Greater than the Amount of Electricity Consumption needed by your Electric device.
2. Choose a generator with easy-to-find fuel.
Well, the generator has several types of generators, where there are also several different types of generator fuel. For example, just like a gasoline-fueled generator, gasoline mix (Mixed Gasoline) and also a Diesel generator with Solar fuel. Well, if you find it difficult to get Solar, then you can choose a generator with Gasoline fuel, so that it is easier for you when you want to turn on the generator.
3. Select a generator with easy operation
For those of you who like to be confused with the way to operate the generator, then you can choose the type of generator that is easy to operate and not complicated, so you will not have trouble when turning on and off the generator you have. You can easily consult the seller of the generator first.
4. Select the Silent generator / Soundproof generator.
This type of generator has a sound that is softer or not so loud, thus the sound of the generator when turned on will not interfere. But usually, this type of Soundproof / Silent generator has a large enough size, the price is more expensive than the usual type generator (Open generator). When choosing this Silent generator you need a place to store a bigger one, but make sure the place is safe.
5. Select the generator brand
When choosing a generator, it’s a good idea to ask an expert or the seller. Consider the generator recommended by shop owners, because they know more about the generator. After they recommend, you can start asking other things like shortcomings, advantages and full specifications about the generator so you can make the best choice.
6. Make sure the Spare parts are easily obtained
Nobody expects the generator set to break at a fast time. But when one of the components in the generator set is damaged, it is expected that you are easy to obtain spare parts. So when there is damage to the spare part generator set, you will have no trouble getting it. In addition, when there are obstacles to the generator set, you can also request service from the technician according to the generator set brand purchased.
HOW DO I WORK THE
The generator is now combined with a panel called the ATS and AMF panels. The AMF and ATS that we often find is a combination to exchange resources from generator to pln or vice versa, if at any time the electricity source from PLN suddenly goes out, the AMF is in charge of running diesel generators while providing protection to the generator system, both protection against the unit engine / engine in the form of security against interference with low oil pressure (Low Oil Pressure) and the condition of engine temperature and cooling media, and also provide protection against the generator unit. both in the form of security against excessive usage loads and protection against other electrical characteristics such as voltage or frequency of generators, if the safeguarded parameters exceed the normal / setting limit, the ATS task is to release the electrical current to the load while the AMF is responsible for stopping the engine.
If the generator is operating properly, then the ATS is tasked with moving the connection from the previous one which is connected to the pln which is moved automatically to the generator side so that the electricity can be connected to the user side.
If then the pln returns to normal, then the ATS is tasked with returning the path by moving the switch back to the main side and then AMF’s duty to stop the diesel engine working, and so on all the control systems are automatically controlled by themselves. AMF and ATS panel.
Generator Continuous Rating, Prime Rating and Stand By Rating
Each good generator has 3 types of capacity, namely Continuous, Prime, and Stand By capacity. Some generator engine manufacturers explicitly write 3 types of this capacity, but many also only mention 1 capacity, namely Prime capacity. Therefore, in choosing a generator, you should be careful in looking at what generator capacity is offered by the vendor, and also determine how you will use the generator.
1. Prime Capacity
Prime Capacity is the load capacity that is expected to be borne by the generator for unlimited time. Load can also go up and down (there is a shock load), but the total load is expected to range from 60-70% of the value of Prime capacity listed. If you do not ask for the type of generator capacity, usually the Vendor will use Prime Capacity as the basis for making the offer. In this condition the generator can run 24 hours a day – 7 days a week (24/7), without stopping, except for routine maintenance. But if you want to use 100% of the value of Prime capacity, it is better that the generator is not used more than 8 hours a day.
So, for example the Prime capacity listed is 100KVA, the generator can be used continuously (continuously) in the range of 60-70KVA, assuming there will be fluctuations in the load or shock load. But if the generator is expected to bear 100KVA + shock load, it is better to limit the use of generators at 8 hours a day.
2. Continuous prime
Continuous Capacity is a constant load that can be borne by the generator continuously. The key word is CONSTANT.
Constant load means that the load is relatively stable, unchanging and has minimal shock load. In this condition the generator can be run 24/7, except for maintenance. Usually the Continuous capacity listed is 90-95% of Prime capacity. (For example the Prime capacity is 100KVA, then Continuous capacity can be printed from 90-95KVA). Ideally the generator is only loaded with 70-80% of the Continuous capacity listed.
- Stand By Capacity is the generator capacity specified with the consideration that the generator is rarely used so that it has plenty of time to rest (cool down), so the Stand By capacity listed can be 5-10% greater than the Prime capacity stated. (For example Prime 100KVA capacity, the Stand By capacity listed can range from 105-110 KVA). The generator used based on its Stand By capacity cannot bear a load greater than the Stand By capacity specified. If it is used to bear 100% of the stated Stand By capacity, the generator should only run 1 hour, and not more than 100 hours per year
In principle, each generator is designed to bear the burden according to its Prime Capacity. If he is forced to bear the burden greater than the Prima capacity (Stand By capacity), he is still able as long as it is not too frequent and too long. But if he is given a light and stable load (Continuous capacity), he can run continuously without the need to rest. The illustration is more or less like this:
- A marathon runner athlete is trained to run at a speed of 20 km / h for 4-5 hours of marathon competition on hilly terrain. This is the Prime capacity.
- If he is asked to jog with a speed of 10km / h on a flat road (Continuous capacity), he can definitely relax in jogging 8-10 hours!
- But if he is forced to run a 36km / h sprint on an uphill road (Stand By capacity), he is still capable, but only 20 seconds not 4-5 hours like a marathon run!
Lightly Maintenance and Operation in Generators to Stay Optimal
How do you operate and maintain lightly so that the generator engine remains optimal and works efficiently? Here are some tips for taking care of generators
- If a routine generator is used, replace the oil every 150 hours (1 month)
- Check the solar filter every 300 hours and do a filter replacement every 600 hours
- Clean dirt and dust dust on the generator radiator so that the radiator works optimally
- Check spare parts, if there is thirst, they should be replaced immediately so that the generator is durable and long lasting
- Carry out a distilled water check on the battery, the battery is available disttiled which must be recharged within a certain period of time usually 2 years
- Put the generator in a place where the air circulation is good and keep it away from the place where it is easily flooded anticipate if there is a leakage current from the generator and electrical shock can occur
- Turn on the generator even though it has never been used, aiming to keep the engine and other electronics in the generator electricity undamaged and work properly.
- Generators must be installed near the location of the transfer switch and fuel supply, to reduce the length of the wiring and pipes, you may need to have permission if you intend to store a large fuel tank.
- A connecting plate is usually provided to place the frame and external conduction, and this is part of the equipment. In this case it is important to consult with an electrician to determine laying requirements and follow procedures that meet local regulations.
- All batteries must be completely charged before they are inserted into the generator.
- The same must be ensured when opening the package and installing the transfer switch. The switch must be placed on the wall and all points must be in the same level with each other to prevent switch distortion.
Check generally engine engines: bolts, belts and batteries
- Check oil, water and diesel fuel in sufficient condition
- Set the gas handle in the start position
- Turn on the engine with a starter or crank
- Let the engine run at low speed for + – 2 minutes
- Position the voltage and ampere switches on the electrical panel to the left manual
- Position the MCB on the generator towards ON
- Raise the engine speed by pulling the gas handle towards the left and adjusting the voltage on the panel to 380, the engine generator is ready to be loaded
- During operation, keep in mind the voltage and state of the engine
- After completion, turn off the main pump button, return the original switch panel position, the MCB on the generator position is OFF and the generator can be turned off slowly
- If there is something strange in operation, it’s good to stop the engine and call the expert
Some tips on choosing a generator, maintenance and operation on the generator to work optimally and last long.